Sign in to follow this  
=TS=Crosshair2

Amd Vs Nvidia

Question

I recently bought a XFX R9-290X-TDFD Radeon R9 280X Today It died after two weeks :13: I've always been quite happy with AMD and the Catalyst Control Center but I think it's time for a change. I'm replacing the dead XFX Card with  ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970

I'm rejoining the world of Nvidia Gaming

12 answers to this question

I seen this, It is an issue : ( But like Blind said, It's still a great card, and even better for the price.

Firstly, It is sad to see you leave us for the green Fairy.

As for your XFX card, I assume you are in the USA or UK. XFX should still have a lifetime warranty (unless that changed in the last 3 years)

the R9280 is a great card and i have its predecessor, the 7970, in my case a Lightning edition by MSI. The GTX 970 is a brilliant card, even though they are damned expensive over here in Australia.

I highly recommend when you pick up your card that you either sell it as it will still be in warranty, and make the leap to the green fairy. But even Nvidia, with all the different companies selling their own "make" of the card will have the chance of blowing up. It is unfortunately part of buying tech. #$@^ happens. I have heard of very few XFX cards dying early, but then that is what the warranty is for isn't it? For what it is worth (and my 7 years as a PC tech and custom PC builder) i recommend you stick with a reference card, and avoid the current batch of Gigabyte and Phantom Cards on the market. I have heard some interesting things from my local supplier about the quality of the items arriving here over the last 6 months.

At the end of the day, The arguement over Nvidia vs AMD has been going on for a long time. I love Eyefinity, others love bells and whistles

I still compare them this way

Nvidia is the High end Lambo with every extra feature imaginable and costs a fortune

AMD is the Raw powered v8 hemi fastback, that may not have as many features, but gets you there just as fast and for less.

Since I have had my gigabyte windforce 970, its been great gaming. Comes factory overclocked

so I don't have to tweak a thing.  Performs very well as is.

Although watch which windows updates you install. It can and will screw up GForce Eperience software.

Also I saw that the card your getting says it has 0Db on the fans. Do they actually run.

D1RTYJU1C3  also bought a GTX 970 (the EVGA w/ ACX Cooler, variety) in January, and he loves it.  He benchmarked it the first week he got it, and hasn't used it since.

My EVGA GTX 770 4GB card is doing great, stays very cool with the ACX Cooler (2 Fans), and plays anything I throw at it.

Now, if I could only have internet...

Since I have had my gigabyte windforce 970, its been great gaming. Comes factory overclocked so I don't have to tweak a thing.  Performs very well as is.

Although watch which windows updates you install. It can and will screw up GForce Eperience software....

I would be very interested in knowing what information you have, or articles you have read concerning this issue.  Not a week after I last posted here, I started having BSODs.  Although it may not be related at all to GeForce Experience.. On top of that, the newest version auto-updates.  Yesterday I did a complete reinstall of nVidia driver 347.25, hoping to cure it.  Thanks.

I would be very interested in knowing what information you have, or articles you have read concerning this issue.  Not a week after I last posted here, I started having BSODs.  Although it may not be related at all to GeForce Experience.. On top of that, the newest version auto-updates.  Yesterday I did a complete reinstall of nVidia driver 347.25, hoping to cure it.  Thanks.

I am running version 2.1.2.0. Don't have any problems. I won't update, simply because if it isn't broke, then don't fix it.

As soon as I saw your post, I opened GeForce Experience to check my version..

OMG! It automatically updated again!  Now I have version 2.4.5.57 - the latest to date.

I do have version 2.1.3.0 as a stand alone installer, maybe I will uninstall & try that. But My BSODs are gone, since I created a new desktop account.  I am in Columbus OH this week, hooked into RoadRunner Cable at 50 down/5 up..  So I'm gonna game some this weekend. Woot!

Sign in to follow this