Sign in to follow this  
=TS=NYTEMARE

Firepro/gl Vs. R9/8 Video Cards For 3D Cad

Question

My brother is in need of a computer to run a 3D CAD program called SolidWorks. I may be building it for him. My building experience is limited to 1 gaming focused PC. The stated requirements for video cards for the program are the Fire Pro/ Fire GL line from AMD and Quadro line from Nvidia. My question is how do these lines of video cards which AMD calls workstation cards vs regular desktop video cards such as the R9 or R7 series compare? Can a regular desktop card handle a program such as SolidWorks? And since hes not all work and no play, how would a "workstation" card run pc games such as BF4 and other newly released games?

Thanks

Edit: its been a while since I've browsed GPUs. R7 not R8.

Edited by =TS=NYTEMARE

2 answers to this question

HI Nytemare.

If he has the budget for Firepro Or Quadro, then it is best to use them. they will play high end games, but not as well as a proper "Graphics" card.

As much as i am an AMD fanboi, The Quadro's are probably better suited to solid works..

The R9 and R7 series cards are great (not so much the R7) and most of the R9 higher cards are equivalent in power for say the 78 and 79 series cards, I have a 7970 3G card and it is equivalent to the R9280. They are more streamlined, but are not designed for straight crunching of data in raw form,

After a quick look through the products available from both, and not taking into consideration cost, these are the two i would recommend based on what little info i have

AMD Firepro W8100 <---> An 8 gig workstation card with ridiculous processing rates,

http://www.amd.com/en-gb/products/graphics/workstation/firepro-3d/8100#

Nvidia K5200 <---> Also an 8 gig card. great processing rates.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/compare-quadro-gpus.html

Quadro K5200

Again, i have not mentioned price as one, i do not know what country your in to buy from, and two, i do not know your budget

At a bare minimum, for high end work, you need at least 4gig of ram at DDR5 speeds

the rest comes down to what power supply you have (i recommend a silverstone stryder 750 or 850 silver) and what he intends to do. If you are gaming as well, install a second graphics card as well later on if needed.

Both of these cards use in excess of 200watts, so plan accordingly. 850 watt would suit better in the long run.

Let me know a bit more and a budget and i can flesh it out for you.

Hope this helps

Edited by =TS=LtAlucard1387

Thanks Alucard. Im not particularly working with a budged just yet. Its more of a "how much will this cost?" type of thing. I guess a good place to start is on the lower end that would work, up to the point of diminishing returns.

Onto the next question, the requirement for processor is "intel or amd with SSE2 support" I don't see anywhere where it lists that as a spec. is that something that only certain cpu's have or is it pretty common. Also is there a need to get a cpu other than a regular desktop one, like a server? I wouldn't think so, but idk. what would u recommend as a minimum for that, and maybe a " best bang for my buck" type cpu?

I am in the American market and usually order off New Egg, but doesn't have to be from there.

as far as other components are standard desktop mobo's, ram, ect suitable for this?

damn. just checked on those prices! steep lol. again idk what is actually needed for this type of work, so if that's what the card he needs costs, it is what it is. seems to me like that'd be a lot of card tho?

another consideration I would do is stay with either NVidia/intel or amd/amd for the gpu/cpu. idk if it matters but id rather not mix them up.

thanks again. nytemare

Sign in to follow this