=TS=winstonsmith

Is A Alaptop Worth Upgrading?

Question

Hi all! Well let's see if you can help me once again. In these hard times, everyone's struggling w money. So am I. i bought a laptop for many reasons, and not a home computer. Its a Dell inspiron 17. It's preety good,it runs ok. But i did not expect to become a gamer. My problem is as it follows: is it even worth to upgrade it to play some demanding games like BF3 or BFBC2? I have Windows 7, intel core i3-3227U CPU 1.90 GHz with 4.00 GB ram of memory. what can i do with it? tnx for listening!

7 answers to this question

Gosh, Winston!  With only 4gigs you won't be playing any cool games. 

Have you seen the gigs required for some of the FPS shooter games we play most times? 

But I don't know, you may need the expertise of a few of the pro gamers here.  The guys that actually build their own computers from scratch just to enhance their gaming experience.

If it turns out you don't want your laptop, you can always send it to me and I'll make good use of it.   :rofl:

I did not check the full specs on your laptop, but there is a rather good chance that there is almost nothing you can do to make it faster , sry  :13:  if anything you can go to an SSD that is the only thing i know of to speed up your laptop @ all

The Dell Inspiron lineup is pretty low on the power scale as far as laptops go.  Pretty much all you will be able to do is put in more RAM and possible swap the hard drive for an ssd, neither one of which will make much of a difference since the laptop has an i3 in it.  The i3's are decent for media consumption, but don't expect too much processing power from them.

Upgrading the RAM will be pointless, as most games are only 32-bit, so they will only see up to 4GB of RAM anyway, and any games newer than that won't run on the i3 at all.

My recommendation would be to just suffer through it as it currently is set up, and just watch classifieds or such to see if someone is selling a good gaming machine for an affordable price.

The Dell Inspiron lineup is pretty low on the power scale as far as laptops go.  Pretty much all you will be able to do is put in more RAM and possible swap the hard drive for an ssd, neither one of which will make much of a difference since the laptop has an i3 in it.  The i3's are decent for media consumption, but don't expect too much processing power from them.

Upgrading the RAM will be pointless, as most games are only 32-bit, so they will only see up to 4GB of RAM anyway, and any games newer than that won't run on the i3 at all.

My recommendation would be to just suffer through it as it currently is set up, and just watch classifieds or such to see if someone is selling a good gaming machine for an affordable price.

@1.9ghz you won't have close to enough power to game especially the newer games minimum for BFBC2 is 2.44ghz i believe. I have built many gaming machines for team members for around $500 and sometimes much less depending on donated parts. Even if your CPU was powerful enough the integrated graphics couldn't hold up to most online games.

I have a Gigabye ga-m68mt-s2p mobo with an AMD Athlon II x2 3.4 ghz cpu. I also have a gtx 460 evga gpu.

I am willing to donate all of this so that winston can come and game like a pro with the rest of us :)

I, in all my wisdom and greatness, have decided the following- as it is stated in my proclamation:

1. I would be a fool to upgrade this little machine that i have and waste that money so I shall rather wait a month or two, get some $$ and (with the help of this fine community and it's advice) custom build a gaming machine!

IF U GONNA DO SOMETHING, DO IT RIGHT!!

thnx gforce for your donation :32 (16):