Guest =TS=MAGNET

Saving Files In .zip

Question

Guest =TS=MAGNET

All of a sudden I'm unable to compress my files using .zip It automatically compresses my files using .rar and I want to be able to choose which file format I want to use and it's not allowing me to do this.

I've been trying to fix this without having to convert the file and I haven't been able to find the solution.

I was able to choose the file format before but now, for some reason, that option has left the building. Now ain't that strange.

All I want to do is compress some of my files not all of them using .zip instead of .rar

Any help would be appreciated.

(This is the kind of stuff that truly makes me wanna go postal_4)

7 answers to this question

Magnet,

What program are you using for the compression?

~ Eddie

What you can do is right click the file that you wish to compress and it should give you the option to choose to compress to XXXX.zip or XXXX.rar

EDIT: Scratch that, right click the file and choose add to archive. then you will see the ZIP or RAR option

Example

Screencap: http://puu.sh/8ZiT8.png

Edited by =TS=LJohnson13

Magnet,

What program are you using for the compression?

~ Eddie

I'm using Winrar for my file compression

What you can do is right click the file that you wish to compress and it should give you the option to choose to compress to XXXX.zip or XXXX.rar

EDIT: Scratch that, right click the file and choose add to archive. then you will see the ZIP or RAR option

Example

Screencap: http://puu.sh/8ZiT8.png

Now this is the problem I'm facing -- Under normal circumstances I can right click on the file, then add to archive, then yes, there are options to either use ZIP or RAR format.  The thing is, when I click on the option for ZIP it inadvertantly and without hesitation compresses my file to RAR.

Up until recently I was able to compress my files either way.  This problem is with my Windows 7 PC

This is keeping me from uploading files to the download section.  We can only upload ZIP files and as I said in the past, I was able to zip the zip in zip. 

Fist bumps for the replies back!

I'm using Winrar for my file compression

Now this is the problem I'm facing -- Under normal circumstances I can right click on the file, then add to archive, then yes, there are options to either use ZIP or RAR format.  The thing is, when I click on the option for ZIP it inadvertantly and without hesitation compresses my file to RAR.

Up until recently I was able to compress my files either way.  This problem is with my Windows 7 PC

This is keeping me from uploading files to the download section.  We can only upload ZIP files and as I said in the past, I was able to zip the zip in zip. 

Fist bumps for the replies back!

If I had to suggest anything, I would just download the winrar installer and have it repair the installation. or just do a uninstall and re-install. But I'm only 18, so there is probably a more efficient way to fix it xD

Best of luck though

you can also use the built in zip option from windows.

just right click the files you wanna zip and chose:

send to -> zip folder

or you try to reinstall win rar, maybe that helps.

or you could use 7 zip http://7-zip.org/

many options , just chose one  :39:

If I had to suggest anything, I would just download the winrar installer and have it repair the installation. or just do a uninstall and re-install. But I'm only 18, so there is probably a more efficient way to fix it xD

Best of luck though

O M G  What does your being only 18 have to do with it?  Or, maybe I shouldn't listen to you at all???? :sfun_nose_picking:

No really, I'll reinstall it.  It's the best way of solving things.  I have this fear of re-installing stuff; the result may be a bit devastating. 

If I still have the problem, I'll let you know.

By the way, I'm really sorry to hear that you're only 18 years old.  Now I can't offer you a piece of candy ....   :rofl:  [just jokin']

Thanks a bunch .... I had to end up reinstalling the program.  It works great now!

I don't know what could have happened except maybe during the time my computer was put away updates got behind.  After the updates, etc. perhaps some of the programs weren't the same any more. 

Thanks again!