Sign in to follow this  
=TS=Kanabanoid

PC Upgrade Time

Question

This here is a list of what I am running at the moment : Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3B1K2/4GX Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Rosewill Blackbone Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core ... AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX

And this is what I am going to upgrade too using the same mother board above keep in mind :

CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139014 ,

COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Cases+%28Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form%29-_-Cooler+Master-_-11119225 ,

G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231460&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL060112&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL060112-_-EMC-060112-Index-_-DesktopMemory-_-20231460-L05A ,

GIGABYTE GV-R797OC-3GD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card , http://www.newegg.co...#scrollFullInfo ,

Netgear WNDR4500 N900 Dual Band Gigabit Wireless Router , http://www.amazon.co...ASIN=B005KG44V0 , And of course this will be hard wired on not on WIFI set up.

I know our community has some awesome computer buffs so any suggestions on this set up or tweaking it would be most appreciated. Hope to get some help/answers and thanks in advance for any info/help given.

51 answers to this question

are you using a stock CPU cooler? and don't waste the money on higher clocked Ram because your system won't run it at it's actual unless you plan on overclocking the crap out of it 1333 is going to save you money that you can use on a good third party cooler Hell even 1600 will save you some $$ but like i said it will never run on that unless you juice it up. and if you're only running only one card 1200 watt PSU is major overkill save yourself even more money by grabbing a 1000 or even a 850 watt PSU is more than enough. Look at my specs ...i only need a 750 watt PSU.

It looks like you're about to spend allot of money on hardware for specs you may never achieve unless you plan on clocking it up HIGH... and in that case you can cause your system to become unstable especially if your cooling solution isn't sufficient

I know little about AMD systems, so I'll have to defer to Cross on whether or not your system can use the higher speed RAM. 1600Mhz though in general is more than sufficient for a gamer, I use faster RAM because I have it left over from my over cloking rigs.

A good HSF is mandatory though, the factory stock will only hold you so far. The new self contained water cooling systems are pretty nice, and cost competitive with the high end HSFs. I'll be reviewing three Thermaltake units next week.. a Frio OCK HSF, a Frio Extreme HSF, and a H2Water self contained water cooling system... I'm suspecting they're going t end up pretty close in cooling, but the nice thing with the water coolers is you don't have all that weight hanging on your mobo

When it comes to PSUs however, I'm a firm believer in overkill! The most important component of your rig IMO. I'd agree with cross that the 1200 AX is probably way more than you need unless you're serious about getting into overclocking or looking at 3 or 4 video cards. They are GREAT PSUs, so you can't go wrong, but... will you use it? I personally wouldn't go any lower than 850 watts since you've got one 7970 already. If you get another one you'll need the added power. PCP&C makes a nice 950 watt silver certified PSU that you can pick up for about $120 bucks. Cheaper than the 850AX and a good unit too.

I spent so much upgrading my power supplies in the beginning because I wanted to spend as little as possible, but, now I FUTURE PROOF as much as possible... cheaper in the long haul if you go crazy on hardware like I do lol Just got a Thermaltake 1475 watt 80 Gold to run my quad sli on.. hopefully.

Just remember not to run your rig 24/7 with a big PSU in it - you're electric bill will send you into shock ha ha

Oh, and ditch the Seagate drive for an SSD or Western Digital HDD. Seagate's have a bad habit of dying :(

Let me know if you ever go Intel... can help a lot more then :D

Yes I am running a stock fan CPU cooler and the ram I have installed right now is clocked at 1600 already. Is there a reason my MOBO wouldn't run the Ram I want to use? As far as cooling goes you did look at the case I am getting right? Other than the stock CPU fan... it has some really good ventilation and comes with some very big fans. It is a full Tower and not a Mid.

Ok Cross I guess you are kind of confusing me lol. I do understand maybe coming down on wattage for the Power supply but I was thinking the Ram was a good Idea and I am getting 16GB (4x4GB) and not just the 8(2x4GB) So what do you mean when you say " but like i said it will never run on that unless you juice it up" ? Does that mean I need another mother board or something?

Ok so far I guess it is safe to say 850 Watt PSU would sufice. Ok so tell me what a good set up to play BF3 on ultra using AMD 6 core processor? The mother board I am using and going to keep is above. I have compared it to a lot of gaming machines and it is a very good MOBO from what I can see. I think the power I am looking for is going to come from the video card, Memory, And a good HeatSink for the processor.

I would love to slap a GTX670 or 80 in the case but I think the GIGABYTE GV-R797OC-3GD Radeon HD 7970 3GB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card will beat both of those. I don't know? Plus My MOBO is GIGABYTE too so that has to be a plus.

Ok so basically Minus the mother board and tower tell me with links and prices of what you would build for a nice BF3 computer.

And thanks for all the input so far. It's hard to come up with just the right stuff to build a good gaming rig.

Looks like specialalists said everything.

All I want to add is that AX1200 is overkill. If you don't plan massive HDD bay and multi-GPU system, this PSU will be useless, and won't show all it is able. Of course, it means that it will not consume all the 1200W, but most high power PSU's are not really efficient on low load. And "tough" PSU's have only one advantage on low-consuming systems- they getting old slower. I mean, if whole system has a consumption of 850W, 850W PUS will wear out much faster on full load than 1200W one. But, anyway, any PSU looses watts, and if something will go wrong, additional wattage won't save. AX850 is more than enough if you plan to stick with single 7970.

Can't say much about RAM. I haven't upgrade for ages, 4 years. But AFAIK, 1600MHz is completely enough. For more you need X79 with LGA2011. And since FX is still dual channel, I see no point in more than 2 sticks. 2x *GB shou;d be fine. But I might be wrong.

Also, I would recomend instead of "big" PSU, take the H100 or NH-D14 CPU cooler.As about HAF-X. I dunno why ppl buy it. Nothing special. IMO Carbide 500R, or Obsidian 550D are much better. However any proper chassis with good airflow would be good.

Excuse me if I did cofuse with this post. I told what I know, and just own opinion. Good luck in upgrading. And happy assembling :)

Those towers you mention are mid towers and I am going with a full tower but those are some beauties. And yea I will probably go with at least an 850 PSU no more than that.

ok, so... everyone prity much hit on everything i would have suggested. even tho the HAF is a sweet case, if you really want a new case you can save some money by looking around. you will easily find a case that you will like and has the airflow you want. like maddogg said and grim, i too beleave in overkill for the PSU. the better the psu the cleaner and more stable power you can get to the system. but you can still easily get one that is just as good and maybe a lil less wattage. your board will take 2 of tho's cards so if you want to one day put another GPU in be sure that the psu that you get will power 2 of the cards you have. as for the ramm, sry cross, don't want to step on your toes but his board will run it and even oc it. but as MD said you don't need it that stuff is over the top for real. not to mention that you will see no difference in anything with it as apposed to 1333 or 1600. the ram you listed that you have now is actually realy nice so you have options there, you can not get new ram and wait, or if you want more than 4gb now i would suggest getting another set just like you have in now. and one last note, drop the hard drive and get an ssd with the money you save on ram and case and or psu.

the items you picked for a new build are great and you did a great job, but if you are balling on a budget ( as most of us are ) work with what you have now such as your ram. the psu you picked is the one i want but6 don't need so i dont have add a ssd to your build and you will see an increase in speed, without a doubt : )

Good Luck on the new build : )

P.S. the H100 is very nice i never skimp on cooling

Just a couple of comments based on your planned purchase.

You might want to rethink that 7970 rather than a gtx670. HardOCP says that the 670 kept up to the AMD.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/05/14/geforce_680_670_vs_radeon_7970_7950_gaming_perf

Also, for the NetGear router, why are you looking at that particular model? Is it a performance issue, or do you just like the features?

From what I have been reading, the Asus N900 routers are better than the Netgear ones (ie, the RT-66U). Personally, though, I run a WNDR3800 with OpenWRT on it, as none of the newer ones support that yet.

Also, as MaadDaawg said, ditch the HDD and go SSD (or have SSD as the OS drive, with spinning platter as mass storage), which will have a significant boost in performance.

ok, so... everyone prity much hit on everything i would have suggested. even tho the HAF is a sweet case, if you really want a new case you can save some money by looking around. you will easily find a case that you will like and has the airflow you want. like maddogg said and grim, i too beleave in overkill for the PSU. the better the psu the cleaner and more stable power you can get to the system. but you can still easily get one that is just as good and maybe a lil less wattage. your board will take 2 of tho's cards so if you want to one day put another GPU in be sure that the psu that you get will power 2 of the cards you have. as for the ramm, sry cross, don't want to step on your toes but his board will run it and even oc it. but as MD said you don't need it that stuff is over the top for real. not to mention that you will see no difference in anything with it as apposed to 1333 or 1600. the ram you listed that you have now is actually realy nice so you have options there, you can not get new ram and wait, or if you want more than 4gb now i would suggest getting another set just like you have in now. and one last note, drop the hard drive and get an ssd with the money you save on ram and case and or psu.

the items you picked for a new build are great and you did a great job, but if you are balling on a budget ( as most of us are ) work with what you have now such as your ram. the psu you picked is the one i want but6 don't need so i dont have add a ssd to your build and you will see an increase in speed, without a doubt : )

Good Luck on the new build : )

P.S. the H100 is very nice i never skimp on cooling

Thanks K, Just so you know I am running 8GB of DDR3 Ram all ready at 1600, 1.6 volts, 9-9-9-27 which is what these bad boys recommend. So what you are saying Is I shouldn't have to get more ram? It sure would be nice to have that 16GB of ram versus 8GB. As for the CPU cooler you suggested I put it on my list. It is between that one and this one :

Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel Core i7 (six-core ready) & i5 Compatible Five 8mm Heatpipes Dual 120mm Fans Intel & AMD Universal CPU Cooler CLP0564

As for the SSD I like the suggestions to go with SSD but haven't gotten any Ideas from anyone on what kind and how big. Oh and I am thinking about two of the EVGA 670 cards. So do you think the PSU I want to get is still over kill? If you can think of something else that is just as good but a little cheaper by all means show me some love.

I know little about AMD systems, so I'll have to defer to Cross on whether or not your system can use the higher speed RAM. 1600Mhz though in general is more than sufficient for a gamer, I use faster RAM because I have it left over from my over cloking rigs.

A good HSF is mandatory though, the factory stock will only hold you so far. The new self contained water cooling systems are pretty nice, and cost competitive with the high end HSFs. I'll be reviewing three Thermaltake units next week.. a Frio OCK HSF, a Frio Extreme HSF, and a H2Water self contained water cooling system... I'm suspecting they're going t end up pretty close in cooling, but the nice thing with the water coolers is you don't have all that weight hanging on your mobo

When it comes to PSUs however, I'm a firm believer in overkill! The most important component of your rig IMO. I'd agree with cross that the 1200 AX is probably way more than you need unless you're serious about getting into overclocking or looking at 3 or 4 video cards. They are GREAT PSUs, so you can't go wrong, but... will you use it? I personally wouldn't go any lower than 850 watts since you've got one 7970 already. If you get another one you'll need the added power. PCP&C makes a nice 950 watt silver certified PSU that you can pick up for about $120 bucks. Cheaper than the 850AX and a good unit too.

I spent so much upgrading my power supplies in the beginning because I wanted to spend as little as possible, but, now I FUTURE PROOF as much as possible... cheaper in the long haul if you go crazy on hardware like I do lol Just got a Thermaltake 1475 watt 80 Gold to run my quad sli on.. hopefully.

Just remember not to run your rig 24/7 with a big PSU in it - you're electric bill will send you into shock ha ha

Oh, and ditch the Seagate drive for an SSD or Western Digital HDD. Seagate's have a bad habit of dying :(

Let me know if you ever go Intel... can help a lot more then :D

O.K so I was thinking about going with 2 EVGA GTX 670 2GB cards so do you think the 1200 PSU is still over kill or do you think an 850 would still do the trick? As for the SSD what would you suggest getting? How big and what brand? This is the CPU cooler I was thinking about getting : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106150 Or this one : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017 So with all that said do you still think the upgrade on the ram isn't nessasary? I mean 16GB sounds pretty sweet but if I don't really need it I don't want to waste the money. As of this moment I have 8GB of Kingston DDR3 duel channel , 9-9-9-27 stable timings and voltage set at 1.65 which is what these bad boys call for. But those RipJaw snipers look pretty sweet.

Just a couple of comments based on your planned purchase.

You might want to rethink that 7970 rather than a gtx670. HardOCP says that the 670 kept up to the AMD.

http://www.hardocp.c...950_gaming_perf

Also, for the NetGear router, why are you looking at that particular model? Is it a performance issue, or do you just like the features?

From what I have been reading, the Asus N900 routers are better than the Netgear ones (ie, the RT-66U). Personally, though, I run a WNDR3800 with OpenWRT on it, as none of the newer ones support that yet.

Also, as MaadDaawg said, ditch the HDD and go SSD (or have SSD as the OS drive, with spinning platter as mass storage), which will have a significant boost in performance.

Hey good find on the comparisons. I think I will go with two EVGA gtx670's. As for the router I am not to knowledgable in routers and I use a Linkeys at the moment and seen the Router I referanced and it looked nice but if you thinks something is better show me some love and tell what to get on the router I sure would appreciate it.

Sign in to follow this