Sign in to follow this  
Guest =TS=MAGNET

Battlefield 3 Hacker Reveals Startling Numbers by David Veselka.

Question

Guest =TS=MAGNET

It turns out that Battlefield 3 on PC isn’t as hack-free as you might think it is, despite counter-measures like Punkbuster.

Recently, a hacker-turned good, ironically named Hackertrash on Reddit, spilled the beans regarding what type of hacks (mods) PC players currently face and just how commonly players use them. If his data is true, you might find his conclusions rather startling.

These are his experiences below as he describes on Reddit.

Hi, I’m a BF3 Player. One who ‘hacks’. Some background :

When I’m legitimate (not hacking) I’m a ~400 SPM player, an active member of the reddit forums, and everything I’m about to write is absolutely true.

We’ve all met hackers in game. However, an IRL friend I know plays online games only to hack them. He introduced me to a relatively cheap, fairly well known and undetectable BF3 hack.

I noted it’s existence, but didn’t use it, or think much about it – until one day a few months ago.

I was on caspian, and a opposing sniper was clearly hacking. On a short ticket server he was 100-4 or so and was able to kill me across the map with impossible shots.

I was infuriated, and in a bad mood. I cracked. I went to the hack website my friend had shown me, bought the hack, and over the course of a few days learned to use it.

Here’s the information I think the community at large ought to know.

The hack works by injecting some code into the game as it launches. As such, no files on your computer are altered in any way. I don’t have a mass of technical knowledge, but I know this keeps PB and DICE/EA from being able to detect it. The executable for the hack doesn’t even exist on your computer: You use a java applet to log in, and it loads it directly into memory and you launch the game afterwards.

The hack’s capabilities are immense, and highly configurable. There are so many options. The most notable ones are:

• I can see the entire enemy team on the map, spotted, with ranges – all the time.
  • I can see who is aiming at me at any time, and the QUALITY of that aiming. (Remember this, I’ll get to it’s importance later)
  • I can set the hack to aim-bot on the push of a button, or all the time – or none. I can also set it to fire for me – but only when my crosshair is over a space that will result in a kill.
  • I can set the hack key-binds, to toggle any option In the hack.
  • I can choose head, body, foot, or variable shots, as well as no spread.
  • I can set the hack so that ANY amount of damage kills a player (no matter where the bullet hits)
  • I can set the hack to spot all members of the enemy team every so often, for the benefit of my entire team (spothacking).
  • Finally, I can kill the entire other team with a touch of a button.

They update the hack constantly. It only takes hours between a patch and a new injectible updated version.

The aim-bot specifically is extremely customizable: It can be set to only force aim at slow or fast or any speed in between on button press: It can snap to the closest enemy, or the one I have closest to my crosshair.

There are many more options, including being able to FULLY customize the weapons (including vehicles) and others. Also – you can customize it so that all this information is invisible. None of this shows up on the PB screenshots.

So after I got my hack all set up, I found the hacker, and went into his server, and began killing the #$@^ out of him.

At first, I just murdered everyone on my way to him, but once I became more skilled with the hack, I just used the 3-d and 2-d radars, along with the feature that showed me who was looking in my direction, to avoid the enemy team, and just kill the hacker.

He rage-quit pretty quick. This lead to my next finding, as I turned on the hack when I suspected someone of hacking.

There are many, many more people using some feature or form of this hack(or a similar one) on almost every server than I thought possible.

What I mean by that Is I found that on nearly every 64 man server, during the course of a two round span, it’s almost a certainty that someone is hacking – and most times more.

Here’s how I was able to know (not surmise) that people were hacking.

The hack can be set so that when you aim near someone (whether you have line of sight or not), it will show you how close they are aiming to you – in a percentage.

100% means that they are aiming at you, perfectly. Running around, watching people, I could instantly see some issues.

As you would imagine, holding a 100% aim on a moving target is nearly impossible. But I found people, time and again, who, once they ‘took notice’ of me – Could hold that 100% as long as they wanted.

In other words, they were seeing me (in many cases across the map from spawn, through buildings and the like) as soon as I spawned – and they had me dialed in, even as I ran, and changed directions.

They were using their own hack to hold an aim on my head, as they got into range/line of sight.

But furthermore, I started to notice something with lots of the vehicles and aircraft: plenty of those would be flying around, but as soon as they got anywhere near me, the aim percentage would go from 0% straight to 100% – and not release until they had fired all their rockets/guns/etc.

This also revealed very excellent players in some cases being accused of hacking, weren’t hacking. You could detect in the aim if it was ‘human’ or not. These cases, while fairly rare, did exist.

Another clear way to tell is if someone was using the hack, is if I could sneak up on someone. Amazing players can be surprised, if you have the advantage of knowing where their entire team is, and what direction they are running and looking, at least some of the time. Hackers using the radar functions cannot be surprised. It was a dead giveaway

I did this for a month, before I removed my subscription to the hack, worrying that I would be stat-wiped, or banned.

But during the month, I did a lot of looking into the profiles and statistics of the people I found to be hacking beyond a shadow of a doubt, and I reported a boatload of profiles (to nearly no avail) .

Here’s what I’ve found- (and mind you , this is a month of playing, I found maybe 100 people that were clearly and undeniably hacking for the above stated reasons). Take this with a grain of salt, sample sizes and unscientific record keeping means these numbers could be 10-20% (maybe even more?) off.

My anecdotal evidence is that between 1 in 30 to 1 in 60 players on big ticket servers are hacking. Also, many high SPM players (over 700-900) with low time on bases etc. are often hacking imo.

• The vast majority of hackers aren’t using most features of their respective hacks, the most popular hack I saw was the ‘radar’ or spothack. Aimbots are the second most popular – especially among snipers and engineers.
  • Moreover, almost all hackers are ‘closet’ hackers. They aren’t obvious. Also, I would call these people out, and almost universally they would turn it off instantly. (example, I find a hacker, call him one over chat, and he would call me a noob, or insult me. But after that, the hack in most cases would be disengaged – and often the person would leave the next round.)
  • Most people using hacks, once they turn them off, are no good. In fact, a reasonably good person (250~ spm or above) , given this hack, is absolutely unstoppable. I could easily go into a 64 man server, and have a KDR of 20-1 or more in that round, against even insanely good players.
  • Metro is a massive hotbed for hackers, as well as 64 man instant vehicle servers.

I’m doing this because I want to convey to all of you the scope of the issue we face.

End post.

Do you notice any hackers when you play Battlefield 3 on the PC? If so, how often? Let’s hear your thoughts/experiences in the comments below.

Thanks, Hackertrash, for sharing.

Thanks, Andy Callow, for the tip.

11 answers to this question

Guest =TS=MAGNET

Great share! But you see the whole concept here ... vengeance, reciprocity, getting even, etc.

This guy was a sure enough Whistle Blower!! But he got his revenge though ! Hoooray

=TS=Dev1lman

Thanks for heads up. Nice reading. But for some reason I'm no wondering at all.

• The vast majority of hackers aren’t using most features of their respective hacks, the most popular hack I saw was the ‘radar’ or spothack. Aimbots are the second most popular – especially among snipers and engineers.
  • Moreover, almost all hackers are ‘closet’ hackers. They aren’t obvious. Also, I would call these people out, and almost universally they would turn it off instantly. (example, I find a hacker, call him one over chat, and he would call me a noob, or insult me. But after that, the hack in most cases would be disengaged – and often the person would leave the next round.)
  • Most people using hacks, once they turn them off, are no good. In fact, a reasonably good person (250~ spm or above) , given this hack, is absolutely unstoppable. I could easily go into a 64 man server, and have a KDR of 20-1 or more in that round, against even insanely good players.
  • Metro is a massive hotbed for hackers, as well as 64 man instant vehicle servers.

I apologize beforehand for what you gonna read here.

These things happen so oftenly. I forgot when I played last time without cheater comming on server. However as I said before, you can call me noob, tell me I'm accusing ppl with no reason. I feel hackers miles away. And I can say 100% that such hacks exist since early BF2142 times. When sitswitching scum was holding gunship in the air at stable altittude on full spped being single person in that gunship and shooting TV rocket with 100% accuracy. But what is worse- most hackers are able to set accuracy of aimbot and make only few headshots, so it will look real. What I don't get, is that- you already aim and play, why you need some hacks to do what you are already doing?

There are tons of such hacks, first I admited them in COD4/CSS. And the thing is, most cheaters use their hacks so precisely, that no admin can spot them at all. It looks so "natural" that only after some investigation, and enough time spent on folliwing and watching the behavior of suspiciousplayer can give a result. They mostly know and see where you spawn, no matter how far. They know if you aim them, they can see you and kill with single bullet even if you're invisible, or in trees. They always know where everyone is and often you can't kill them if they see you. You can't jide anywhere from them. And some will intentionally hunt and kill someone who caught them. Just see the name and follow each respawn and kill there. I've been in such situation for many times. And after that, when nobody gave a damn and it was safe for him to cheat clearly that dude began simply humiliate whole server. I am usualy just first victim. Trouble is, most ppl never read, never listen, until they got own ars* ripped apart.

Of course you can hunt them down if they being caught and accused, and deactivated hacks, and then it becomes so obviously they can't even aim you properly. You can see the difference even if they still hack. The regualr player is always in stress, always ready. Haxors feel themself so comfy and relaxed that you can sometimes beat all the cr*p out of them, and then it would be obvious why they are so sure you can't kill them. However, if you are in front of them, (I noticed this so freakin many times) you are dead. Even if they reloading, you won't be able to even shoot by clicking mouse button, or they begin to lag insanely of you aim them. And better you aim more lag happen and faster he kills you. This might look a joke, but try to watch that moment in stats, and look at ping the moment you would aim.

Often I am so mad, because some "extremely good players" get all the kills instantly to their stats. I dunno how this is possible. But I tell the truth. Imagine you're alone crouded by enemies, there's nobody from your team for hundred meters. The area is not even visible for teammates. And each time I shoot and make a kill, being 1v1 with enemy the kill goes for one or two dudes. Often haxors work in pair.

But the whole point of my whining and moaning, and being without proof, is that it is obvious that hacks nowadays are a part of gaming budget and are sorta DLC for game ppl guy and play. But this is not new at all. And there's a good question. Where the game developers look at. Where EvenBalance look at? This is obvious that they can't follow the cheaters all the ime, but hell... I've seen such cheats in closed BETA of BC2, and here we are, BF3 is already half-year old and NOUGHT been changed. No anticheat proogress. No new ways and cuntermeasures. Quite the reverse- I see at least 1-5 hakers on each server I come in BC2, MOH, etc. I change about 5 or even a dozen servers . This is ridiculous. I haven't bought BF3 yet, just because I'm so bloody broken.

But I think BF3 is not worth of 60$ and expecially with 15$ 4 map packs and stupid DLCs. I rememeber how ppl have been moaning about Activision's decision to sell map packs and now EA does same mistakes. I have many friends playng BF3, and I think, I won't buy it until something will change. Or at least to play with ppl know are not cheating.

The only problem of closed servers, is that you get used to same ppl, and you need some new ppl to come to make diference and make a challenge. That's why being lone wolf is often a good choice when you must get some new skills and stop killing clanmates.

Edited by =TS=Grim_Reaper

Well that would explain how players I know personally, know where you are spawning in each time and killing you.

Well that would explain how players I know personally, know where you are spawning in each time and killing you.

Not only know! There are some hacks that let them teleport to some location, or teleport players on their location. Capture the point within second, become immortal. But that is completely undisguised. Most of cheaters never reveal themselves at all. I mean they kill and ragequit or disactivate hacks if their hacks been noticed, and then you can admit the difference in their gameplay. I've seen many hackers who never shoot me at all, and been hunting other cheaters. But botsly they use cheats to kill dozens of fair players instead to hunt down others like them. I also seen many good players becme lazy hackers, and vice versa. Anyway, only fair play can let gamer to become good player. You need only intuition, logic, and freakin expensive though rig.

I am really glad you guys found this interesting. Doesn't matter which Battlefield you play it is in all of them. Takes a good set of admins to make sure your server is mutant free.

Guest =TS=Zoa

If I could I would make an invisibility hack, you can tell when someones cheating all the time they make themselves so obvious, aimbots, wallhacks same old same old they're not doing anything new they need better and newer hacks if they're going to keep hacking I'd go invisible and set off all the mcoms and knife the entire opposing team just for the fun of it.

If I could I would make an invisibility hack, you can tell when someones cheating all the time they make themselves so obvious, aimbots, wallhacks same old same old they're not doing anything new they need better and newer hacks if they're going to keep hacking I'd go invisible and set off all the mcoms and knife the entire opposing team just for the fun of it.

Mate. I play BC2 for a while, and believe me. Often ppl are so stupid, that you literally can dance at defenders base and nobody will admit it. That sucks so much. You basicaly kill and stab everyone at their base and nobody from your team even think to spawn on you. So yeah you don't need hack to be invisible :D

Edited by =TS=Grim_Reaper

I accidentally came across this info when looking for wallpapers for BF3. Not sure how true it is but it makes for an interesting read.

If you can't trust the guys at Dice, then who can you trust.

BATTLEFIELD 3 HACKING PROBLEMS ESCALATE.

On January 19th, 2012

If cheating and hacking wasn’t a big enough of a problem in Battlefield 3 already, it turns out that one of the Battlelog moderators was caught hacking in the very same game he’s supposed to moderate.

If it wasn’t bad enough that there was just one more hacker in Battlefield 3, he was also promoted to moderator status by DICE, which gave him all sorts of privileges — e.g. deleting forum posts in Battlelog, according to some reports. The player, who went by the name “MrPropper777″, has since been removed as moderator and his stats have been wiped.

If there ever was an indication of just how big the hacking problem in Battlefield 3 is, this was it. Not only did DICE fail to catch him, they promoted him. Coming across a hacker in Battlefield 3 is now a common thing. Reporting players on Battlelog doesn’t seem to be working, or at least working fast enough. Even a simple glance at the top leaderboards reveals a horde of hackers, cheaters and boosters, and yet, those players have been there for months.

DICE needs to take stronger measures against hacking in Battlefield 3, if it’s even possible at this point. PunkBuster can only do so much, as Battlefield 3 has no built-in anti-cheat system. To make matters worse, when hackers are found, usually only their stats are wiped, while their accounts remain free. They simply go on hacking under a different name.

If DICE can’t catch the obvious hackers who headshot teams across the map and get 200+ kills in a round, how can they ever catch the subtle hackers? The ones who hack just enough so they seem like very good players, and not hackers?

Guest =TS=Zoa

I accidentally came across this info when looking for wallpapers for BF3. Not sure how true it is but it makes for an interesting read.

If you can't trust the guys at Dice, then who can you trust.

BATTLEFIELD 3 HACKING PROBLEMS ESCALATE.

On January 19th, 2012

If cheating and hacking wasn’t a big enough of a problem in Battlefield 3 already, it turns out that one of the Battlelog moderators was caught hacking in the very same game he’s supposed to moderate.

If it wasn’t bad enough that there was just one more hacker in Battlefield 3, he was also promoted to moderator status by DICE, which gave him all sorts of privileges — e.g. deleting forum posts in Battlelog, according to some reports. The player, who went by the name “MrPropper777″, has since been removed as moderator and his stats have been wiped.

If there ever was an indication of just how big the hacking problem in Battlefield 3 is, this was it. Not only did DICE fail to catch him, they promoted him. Coming across a hacker in Battlefield 3 is now a common thing. Reporting players on Battlelog doesn’t seem to be working, or at least working fast enough. Even a simple glance at the top leaderboards reveals a horde of hackers, cheaters and boosters, and yet, those players have been there for months.

DICE needs to take stronger measures against hacking in Battlefield 3, if it’s even possible at this point. PunkBuster can only do so much, as Battlefield 3 has no built-in anti-cheat system. To make matters worse, when hackers are found, usually only their stats are wiped, while their accounts remain free. They simply go on hacking under a different name.

If DICE can’t catch the obvious hackers who headshot teams across the map and get 200+ kills in a round, how can they ever catch the subtle hackers? The ones who hack just enough so they seem like very good players, and not hackers?

I seriously think the only way to show these game developers that we honest players have had enough of the hacking in these games is to stop buying and playing them, leave the hackers to play with themselves. I'm sure a year of hundreds of millions of dollars lost they'll start taking cheating seriously when nobody buys or plays their games anymore

I KNEW there was a reason I sucked in BF3... this must be it :)

Playing more probably wouldn't hurt either though lol