Sign in to follow this  

Repair without solder

Question

I bought a "new" (probably reman'd) OEM HD 5870 off ebay a few months back and put a bitspower water block on it to run xfire with my ASUS 5870. The water block left one (1) Cap exposed near the xfire bridge, which, who cares!

Was handling the card one day a little too carelessly, and my thumb popped the Cap right off the card and onto my desk .. aarrgghh

The way the cap sat on the card made it impossible to solder, and I'm not much of a soldering pro to begin with, so I went in search of liquid solder. They used to make it, but they don't no mo.

Found a product called Silver Conductive Epoxy (by MG Chemicals) on Amazon.com and ordered some up. The day it arrived, I mixed the two parts together, put a tiny splotch on each contact on the card (+ and -) then placed the Cap back on and waited a few hours.

The card works AS GOOD AS NEW!!

So when "minor" issues like fallen off capacitors happen to you, or, when you want to hard mod your video card but you're afraid to burn something up, I highly recommend this product. Actually, to me it's better than soldering cause you have such pinpoint control.

Hope this helps someone!

10 answers to this question

dude send me a link I have a 8800gts that had a capacitor break off and it looks like it was just glued on in the first place

Hey Grim,

That sounds exactly like the cap that fell off on me, same type of plastic base with the bent in pins. I'm telling ya, that silver epoxy adhesive is the perfect answer for that type of issue - glad you save your card too 32%20%2819%29.png

Hey Cross,

Here ya go Bro

http://www.amazon.com/Chemicals-Silver-Conductive-Epoxy-0-35/dp/B003BDMJSY

great stuff

dude send me a link I have a 8800gts that had a capacitor break off and it looks like it was just glued on in the first place

To be honest, I dunno how to answer to you. The card doesn't anything without stuttering and artifacts at all. Yes it turns on, I can surf the web, but this seems all it able to do with probably more than 80W 2D consumption. Sometimes I think I'd better fix it with a hammer. Problem is I have nothing else. I still wait for Sapphire 6870 Flex, which I won on one community contest, back in the July 24th. lol :D I apologize for whining and going off the topic.

No apologies needed Bro.. I must have misread your post. sorry to hear the bad news, that really sucks! This stuff I mentioned has a very high silver content and the strength of epoxy, really can't be beat for repairs or hard modding IMO.

Just found another use for this stuff!

The wife has a silver bracelet that is made up of multiple silver oblong loops. One broke from wear and the bracelet fell off you wrist. She asked if I could solder it, but I used this silver conductive epoxy instead, and it worked!! Let it dry for several hours to bond and it just kind of melted into the crack and looks completely like new!

hmmm.. Maybe now I'll go into jewelry repair LOL

this stuff really works i just fixed my 8800gts that had a broken capacitor, Thanks......

Sign in to follow this