HDwaffles

Liquid cooling systems

Question

I started Liquid cooling about three years ago and since have upgraded a few times and it's just more maintaince than i want so i'm switching back to air cooling. Threw all my research i've found that with the right cooler you can get the same results as liquid cooling but without thw worries of leaking or the extra maintaince.

5 answers to this question

I am in the same boat, when i started using water cooling, it was for being able to have advanced cooling options. now days ( like you said ) they are making far better air and even passive cooling options. tho you will always get better performance with a top of the line custom water cooling setup, unless you are running mad over clocks , in most cases it is just not needed for more than the kool factor.

for a overclocker liquid is almost required but i don't overclock so all i need is air this liquid system i have is to bulky and to much maintenance

I bought my first air cooler for my last build (8 core AMD). I had considered water cooling but thought that it was a bad idea with all that liquid around all those boards. As stated previously the new air coolers are quite good and if you maintain good airflow through your box with supplemental fans temps can be kept at a reasonable level.

I played with air cooling on my Sandy Bridge rigs, as well as my P55 Classified. The P55 requires a lot of cold to hit they're highest speeds, but will run high 4ghz on either water or a good air cooler. The Sandy Brideg 2600Ks I have will run 5ghz plus on air! Water cooling won't improve the SB performance much if at all.

I like the corsair A70s, but the Thermaltake Frio OCK really kicks butt! The new Frio Extreme should be nothing short of amazing, but you have to use low profile ram for it to fit. The OCK will keep temps almost at ambient for the CPU, but doesn't do anything for the video cards, which is where water really makes a difference! Haven't found a GPU air cooler yet that will keep the GPUs in the mid 30C range like a good water cooling loop will.

i use the H100i :) so i dont have to mess with a regular water cooling system