=TS=ExillDan

Ineed some help to upgrade my shite pc! :D

Question

i have an Acer Aspire x3990

Intel® Core™ i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz CPU Speed: 3.12 GHz

System Memory: 3.98 GB

AMD RADEON HD 6450 Video Card Memory: 2.23 GB

PSU 220w

id like to upgrade and get a gtx560 or somein close. i know i will need to get a new PSU but realy have no idea on what would work. i cant realy afford too much and realy as it is as cheep as possible. ill also need a new case to fit all this in as mine is a custom fit job :(

any help would be very much appreciated. Dan

16 answers to this question

its on windows 7 64bit.

yea i dont mind the computer it runs most things smooth as untill i turn on some graphic settings.

i looked into my graphics card and its one of the most basic cards you can get, its dosnt do shaders lighting reflections High Res's physics any thing, it just blows for gameing.

ExillDan

Switching to another VGA won't help, IMO. And I end up with 13fps in almost all games, with 1280x800 or less, on lowest settings ever, whilst my bro and friend have 6670 and do have literally 1.5-3 times higher fps. I can switch to 5450, but the frame rate is still the same. I agree you need better PSU, and memory can hang game process badly, as long as HDD, or even dirty OS. Or even electricity can be so unstable that even UPS is not able to handle it. Then it may have same results. Turn off stupid AERO if you haven't done this yet.

IMO, there are some games, which require a whole power of world to run the game smoothly. I'd avoid such games beforehand and

Gonna echo Tripwire there! Far better than my triple core AMD!  But a 220W power supply is whats crippling it. Get a 800W or a 1000W and that machine will fly!

sorry but thats complete nonsense!

to upgrade the PSU only wouldn't change a damn thing. and for the current configuration the psu is just right, no reserves but ok to run it. and 800 or more watts are only needed for sli or crossfire setups, never for a normal pc.

and i only can back up bwarned on the PSU, don't buy a cheap one. 400 - 500 watts will be enough unless you planing on building a sli or crossfire setup, then you would need 800 or more.

for the case you can just chose one you like, even the cheap ones are not that bad. but also depends on what you want from it. if you want an ultra silent system then the cheap ones are no good option.

Apologies i misunderstood your post :#! , Bewarned and yeoman are absolutely right! You do not want to cheap out on your PSU if something happens to it a simple short even can fry everything else in your system (has happened to me b4 with a clear cheapo and saw sparks in the PSU case) Could you post your exact computer parts models I can find the right one for you or some choices. If you are upgrading your graphics you will need another PSU, as far as case goes are you looking for style like a clear case or anything that would hold the parts?

I can't help you as far as speed does I'm new to Windows 7 except what I have read. As far as the hardware you pretty much stated what needs replaced, as far as video cards go I normally use radeon and do not know the equivalent.

so far from what iv been chatting about on teamspeak ill go with..

a Coolermaster GX-750W GX750 PSU. =$108

a Antec Two Hundredv2 - Black Mid-Tower Gaming Case. =$59

and then uming ans arring about a...

Gainward PCI-e GTX 560Ti 2GB Gainward Phantom Heatpipe. =$302

Asus ENGTX560DC2DI1GD5 GTX560, 1GDDR5, 256BIT, DDR5, 810Mhz, 2DVI, HDMI, FAN, PCIE, ATX. =$203

Gigabyte N56GSO-1GI GTX560, 900Mhz, 1G, DDR5, 256BIT, HDMI, DVI, ATX, PCIE2.0 =$214

MSI N560GTX-TWINFIIOC GTX560, 870Mhz, 1G, DDR5, 256BIT, HDMI, DVI, ATX, SLI, 2FAN tba =$209

im thinking i will try and spend the extra cash and get the better video card and later on in the year work on a new Mother and Cpu.