• Build Type.:Corsair CC-9011034-WLED
  • CPU:Intel Core i7-3770K
  • Main Board:ASRock Z77 Extreme4
  • Graphics:EVGA 04G-P4-3774-KR
  • Ram:G.SKILL F3-2400C11D-8GSR
  • Cooling System:Air
Excellent

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

I have received the part I ordered to help me recover this HDD. I bought it on eBay. I didn't look very close at the seller, who turned out to be from Croatia, or someplace... The thing took over 3 weeks to get to my door, after payment was received (PayPal).

Since then, with the help of Crosshair, I purchased a Refurbished 80 GB WD VelociRaptor 10,000 rpm drive (under $40 USD). This HDD is cooler than ANY drive I have ever used, not in just temperature. The thing is blazing fast (compared to HDDs of yester-year), and I was able to install a tweaked, Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 OS using a flashdrive in AHCI mode, in about 15 minutes. The resulting updated Windows folder is little more than 9 GB (size on disc), and so far has done a great job with my games (MoH & BF3).

I also received (as a gift from a friend) a New, 1TB WD Caviar Black - which I also installed Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 on. But now I am out of SATA cables, and don't have Windows XP installed on anything, which I need to recover this dead Seagate.

A family member is supposed to send me some SATA cables soon. So when those arrive, I can begin the accent into Hell, attempting this recovery process.

I highly recommend one of these VelociRaptors to anyone who doesn't have the cash for an SSD, and yet needs more speed for HDD intensive tasks. My average Restart with the WD VR80 GB is 50 seconds. I used "Restart-Time.vbs" to test this.
Some OS particulars; Prefetch = OFF, Superfetch = ON, Pagefile = 1024 MB, BIOS in AHCI mode, Processes running = 35, Services running = 44, Memory usage < 700 MB.
Monitoring software; Core Temp 1.0 RC3 x64, SpeedFan 4.46, EVGA Precision X v3.0.2 (included in Processes running)
Some Hardware particulars; Memory = DDR2 1066 @ 4 GB, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 OC'd to 4 GHz, BFG Nvidia GTX 280 stock, computer custom built in Jan 2009.

WadCutterBF.png

pc_45WadCutter.png

74-91-113-231-7673.png  216-52-143-215-7673.png

#2 OFFLINE   =TS=MaadDaawg

=TS=MaadDaawg

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 239 posts
  • 35 topics
  • LocationChicago
  • Build Type.:BlaakHaart
  • CPU:980X
  • Main Board:Rampage III Extreme Black Edition
  • Graphics:2 x 5870 in XFire
  • Ram:12GB Corsair DomGTs 2000mhx
  • Cooling System:3 loop custom built
Excellent

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

The first hard drive I bought, for my first build, was a 20 MB Hard Card! A hard drive mounted on a card... jeez, before PCI so don't remember the slot name lol It costs OVER $400 !!!!

Hope that thingy works for ya Bro :)

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   =TS=WadCutter45

=TS=WadCutter45

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 507 posts
  • 100 topics
  • LocationOhio, USA
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

I am going to attempt to revive this HDD on my own, with help from the tutorials I found online, where possibly thousands of people have done the same thing. That part I ordered from eBay.com - http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_6166wt_1125 - the seller says they have sold almost 600 of these adapters... The tutorials are 3 years old, tried and refined, so I am hopeful that it will work in my case.

As far as the roof, it leaks in an area away from anything I have, so I don't fear for the safety of my computer or other possessions just yet. It just stays damp inside, while it rains. I catch the water, and discard it afterwards.

The cost of Hard Drives is up, no doubt. You once could purchase 500 GB drives for between $60 - $80 USD, where now they are $80 - $105. You can still get a low price per GB, but only if you go with 2 or 3TB drives, which range from $120 - $200 USD.

WadCutterBF.png

pc_45WadCutter.png

#4 OFFLINE   =TS=Grim_Reaper

=TS=Grim_Reaper

Advanced Member

• Team Members
  • 163 posts
  • 3 topics
Excellent

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:48 AM

i do not toy with a drive after it starts acting up. i do not care who makes it if you can get your data back, thank your god, and get a new one

When I did bought my 1TB drive it did cost 87$. Now it costs 150$, and for the same 87$ I can buy only 250GB- 4 times less capaity.And situation is getting worse, because the drives disappear at all. I dunno, maybe in countries for humans the state of things is better, but here it is disaster.

Seagate makes both Maxtor and Seagate drives. And both are horrid. Like all the companies these days. The only cure is to get a small 60-120GB drive for OS only, but it will cost as 2 HDD anyway. All depends on amount of green papers in your pocket.
Posted Image
Forgive my retarded English, please! I hope one day I will finally do it much better.
I also do apologize for any inconvenience
brought to any of you by my presence.

Thank you very much. But there's no need to give me likes, because I write and do nothing useful, unlike other community members.

#5 OFFLINE   Static

Static

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • 2 topics
  • CPU:Core2Duo E8500 3.16 OC'd 3.6
  • Main Board:ASUS P5Q PRO
  • Graphics:XFX Radeon 6870HD
  • Ram:8GB
Neutral

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:33 AM

wait.. you bought 1 500GB drive.. and find out its crap and just dies on people.. then find out your back up is the SAME DRIVE but with a maxtor "tag"!??? omg thats horrible!
quick.. get a 1TB external and back up whatever you can!
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   =TS=Kanabanoid

=TS=Kanabanoid

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 298 posts
  • 54 topics
  • LocationBehind You
  • Build Type.:Custom
  • CPU:Q9550 2.833 @ 3.825
  • Main Board:ASUS Striker II Extreme
  • Graphics:EVGA GTX 480
  • Ram:4gb (2 x 2 gb )Corsair
  • Cooling System:Thermaltake Symphony mini
Excellent

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

i do not toy with a drive after it starts acting up. i do not care who makes it if you can get your data back, thank your god, and get a new one

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   =TS=Grim_Reaper

=TS=Grim_Reaper

Advanced Member

• Team Members
  • 163 posts
  • 3 topics
Excellent

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

This is bloody sad, mate! I hope you'll figure it out soon. The roof... imo it requires an immediate maintenace in this case. Leakages is a real butt-pain, and can do a whole lot more problems, than a faulty HDD. But this is a big heap of simultaneous troubles:(

As about HDD- never been a fan of Seagate anyway. Never liked WD either. From my experience, both were faulty as hell. However, The situation is getting even worse, due to absolute HDD madness, caused by "flood", when hucksters began to bleed consumer's white. This ridiculous rip-off lasts till this day like it should. That's why most ppl pray for their hard drives to have longest life as possible. Obviously, SSD is not a way out in this case.

But. Maybe there are some good engineers, or PC geeks, who can resurrect your drive. Of course it won't be free, but definitelly cheaper than a new one. As I understood this is all about incorrect firmware (loads or complains I've seen).

But as Magnet said, let's hope everything will be ok.

P.S.: I have some weird crap happening with my rig. I dunno what is it at all. seems like whole PC went mad. I cannot even reinstall OS, because system doesn't see the C:\ disk. I'm about to get a tricky butt-pain again with my HDD. It seems all of them are fully functional. I've scanned with Victoria last year. But who knows how much it will need to sort out.
BTW, I have my old 250GB Samsung still working 3 years after receiving B.A.D. status, and does everything fine despite the fact.
Posted Image
Forgive my retarded English, please! I hope one day I will finally do it much better.
I also do apologize for any inconvenience
brought to any of you by my presence.

Thank you very much. But there's no need to give me likes, because I write and do nothing useful, unlike other community members.

#8 OFFLINE   =TS=MAGNET

=TS=MAGNET

Advanced Member

• Team Members
  • 2,121 posts
  • 511 topics
  • LocationRight behind you!
  • Build Type.:Team Stealth Communities
  • CPU:AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core
  • Main Board:ASRock 970 Extreme3
  • Graphics:NVIDIA GeForce9800 GTX+/GeForce8800GTS
  • Ram:8.00GB
Excellent

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:54 AM

If your roof is leaking, maybe you should move your PC to another location or else you'll really have problems with it!

Hope your computer gets better because I'm beginning to feel it's pain just from your up-to-the-minute reports! Maybe one of the "computer guru" guys will give you some help with determining what to get and where to get it ... from places that are trustworthy and won't send you damaged goods if that's the case.

This story can turn out to have a happy ending ya know. [wink]

Respectfully,
THANKS FOR POSTING!

pre_1341094559__wiredup.gif

techsignature2.png

Universal Gaming Forums | DFG Hosting | Evolution-Xtreme

#9 OFFLINE   =TS=WadCutter45

=TS=WadCutter45

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 507 posts
  • 100 topics
  • LocationOhio, USA
Excellent

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

I just discovered my Maxtor "One Touch 4" external 500GB HDD is also the same drive I listed above (FanSpeed reports it as Part# ST3500320AS), with a different firmware (because its a Maxtor). This Maxtor external is my main Backup Drive! I bought the Maxtor months later, in an office retail store, but it still might be effected.
So now I am researching to see if I have to update the firmware on it, before it "bricks" like my Seagate did.

And its raining, again.... ( the roof leaks )

WadCutterBF.png

pc_45WadCutter.png

#10 OFFLINE   =TS=WadCutter45

=TS=WadCutter45

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 507 posts
  • 100 topics
  • LocationOhio, USA
Excellent

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

This is a story (with no ending yet) about a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB SATA 3.0 Hard Drive.....
That I happen to own.
Little did I know that I was using a Hard Drive that had caused so many people, so much trouble.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822148288

In January 2009, I purchased one of the above HDDs in 500GB flavor, for my new computer build. I would have rather bought a Western Digital, but they weren't on sale the day I ordered mine, so Seagate got my money. I remember now, reading about some issues with the firmware (SD15) installed on this drive, but since I had never even seen a hiccup after installing it, I forgot all about it....

Until April 13 (Friday) 2012, when I cold started my PC from a night of being shut off. Suddenly my BIOS wouldn't recognize my HDD, and of course, it wouldn't boot. The drive was spinning, I soon discovered, but something was seriously wrong. After almost all day of trying different things to remedy the situation, I tripped on an article about this drive... it BRICKED, when the PC was usually starting like mine was, on thousands of people. All because of faulty firmware, that was finally updated months after later. I talked to my son-in-law "D1RTYJU1C3" and we went over some links he found, to come up with a solution. My drive was no longer under warranty (over 3 years old) and besides that, it was an "OEM drive", of the type that Seagate didn't warranty for this problem anyway.

So I ordered a small adapter kit from eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/...#ht_6166wt_1079

This will (hopefully) allow me to communicate with the HDD using HyperTerminal through Windows XP, and "RESET" the drive, thus bringing it back to life, so that I can at least back up data that I hadn't backed up before. IF, and I say "if", I can get that far, I might try to update the firmware and use the drive as a internal backup drive, until I can get a new one to replace it. I've had a promise from someone I know to buy me one, but I am not counting my chickens just yet. We'll see.

Links about this drive and how to "Do-It-Yourself " fix it:

http://www.theinquir...-drives-failing
http://forums.seagat...know/td-p/16763
http://forums.seagat...-ES-2/m-p/17140
http://forums.seagat...PORT/td-p/23941
http://www.msfn.org/...te-720011-hdds/
http://www.mapleleaf...agatebrick.html
http://www.overclock...e-fix-with-pics

Will keep you posted...

WadCutterBF.png

pc_45WadCutter.png